Thursday, November 8, 2007

Lets Do It!!


Sounds like a nike comercial but that is what our life has been like for the past year. We left everything we know in Florida and moved to Georgia to start all over again. I am trying hard to keep in touch with everyone but it is very difficult, especially when cell service isn't that great here! So, I figured what the heck, everyone else is blogging why not DO IT! I figure I this might be the only way to communicate while sitting in jail if HRS ( they call it DEFACS here in Georgia) comes to get me. You all know the favorite saying in our house when it comes to thinking you are hurt right, "suck it up"! After weeks of complaining that her toe hurt and Gary and I telling her to "suck it up" she took her sock off after a soccer game and her big toe looked groser than anything I could ever explain. I take her to the podiatrist the next day, he asks me how long as her toe been bothering her, "ughhhh I am not sure a while now I guess, but she has been playing soccer fine" he gives me a look, pulls out a needle and a knife and procedes to cut out a huge ingrown infected toenail! Ok so maybe I should have checked it sooner but at least I did take her in after I looked at it!!! Two weeks later at yet another soccer game she gets slide tackled and I see her head bounce off the ground but she got back up and continued playing. I did notice that she was a little slower than normal the rest of the game but she "sucked it up" and kept on playing. After the game she said her head hurt and she was a little nauseas so I put ice on her face, gave her motrin and told her to "suck it up".... She woke up the next morning and I asked her how she felt and she said that her head still ached a little but she felt better so I gave her more motrin, told her to "suck it up" and sent her on to school. Well wouldn't you know the school nurse calls me a few hours later to tell me that she is in the clinic, dizzy, nauseas, headache and a little foggy she thinks she might have a concussion and I should probably take her to the doctor. Guess what, the doctor confirmed that she if fact did have a concussion and wondered if it had just happened while she was at school. Imagine the look on his face when I told him "oh no, it happened last night and took her home, gave her motrin and put her to bed".... That's it I am going down!!!!! I am happy to report that she is feeling much better and is going to be able to play in the soccer tournament next weekend in South Carolina!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Alisha, remember when you were at our home on Schuller one summer and Chris was complaining about her arm because of a fall in the river when we were camping in southern Ohio. We had the Park Ranger look at it and he said he thought it was just a bad bruise and put ice on it. We iced it all night and the next day as we traveled home, had her keep her arm in a dishpan full of ice. We took her to the doctor on arriving home. They x-rayed and said it looked OK. You and Grandma arrived a week later and during the night you rolled over on Chris's arm. She let out a scream. I told Don that the arm should not have hurt her after a week and a half, so I took her back to the doctor-this time more concerned about her possible injury which occurred during the fall. They x-rayed and it was brokened. They said they couldn't see the fracture before because of swelling. Sooooo, you see, we all 'miss the boat' at one time or another. I guess the lesson learned is to take complaints of children, who normally don't complain, more seriously. Tell Dominique I'm happy she is feeling better, both the toe and head, and am really excited about seeing her in Greenville. By the way, I love your Blog! Love you all, Auntie

Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad; you're not the only parents who tell their kids to "suck it up". Joey came out of football practice the other night complaining of his shoulder and guess what I told him..... exactly "suck it up". So he did and went back in the game. He iced it at home and was still complaining the next morning. Imagine how horrible I felt the next day when the MD confirmed that he fractured his collar bone. Yeah, so I am not up for mother of the year either!! It's just war wounds for them to tell their kids when they grow up. Glad to hear she is doing better.
Lisa Courcelle

Holly said...

Alisha!
So good to hear from you! Corey keeps in touch with Nick and he does call our house once in a while only to get our answering machine, but we do think and pray for him often! Glad to hear you are getting acclamated. How is football going for Gary? We are doing good, Tim's team is doing well! Check out my blog at www.hollyfarv.blogspot.com to keep up with us and I will do the same! Welcome to Blog world! Love ya, Holly

Anonymous said...

Sweetie - This is really great and will be a super way for you to keep everyone posted on your comings and goings (which are so numerous) Us oldies (at least me) never heard of a blog (my sister is much younger than me and knows you see) so this is fun to tap into. Luv (wanted a smiley face butcouldn't find the button for it)